My go-to cocktail is the good ol’ Old-Fashioned, but in the summer if the bar has fresh peaches, I have to order a Bourbon Peach Smash. I mean, this is an awesome cocktail that combines two of my favorite things: bourbon whiskey and peaches… Double the greatness! It sort of has that grown-up-drink feel, yet still fun and not overly sweet.
When I make this refreshing libation at home, I like to grill the peaches to bring out even more sweetness and flavor. Yellow nectarine is my fruit of choice (vs. white nectarines and white peaches) because it’s more aromatic, also its firmer texture holds up better on the grill. If you are a bourbon lover like moi, this is the perfect summer cocktail for you.
Bourbon and Grilled Nectarine Smash
makes 1 cocktail
- 1/2 yellow nectarine, sliced into wedges
- 4 – 6 mint leaves
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 oz water
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 2 oz bourbon whiskey (I used Bulleit)
- sprig of mint for decoration
- Heat the grill (in my case, a grill pan for indoor grilling.) Brush grates or pan with a little bit of olive oil. Place the slices of nectarine onto the grill, grill until marks are formed, a minute or two on each side.
- Set aside one grilled peach wedge for decoration. Add all ingredients (except for whiskey and ice) to a cocktail shaker, muddle away until all the peach slices have broken down.
- Add whiskey and a few ice cubes into the shaker. Close the lid and shake well.
- Fill a glass with crushed ice, strain the cocktail into glass. Garnish with a sprig of mint and the reserved peach wedge. Enjoy!