I absolutely love the combination of sweet, tangy buttermilk cake with juicy berries. I first made this raspberry buttermilk cake a few years ago and haven’t stopped making it since, it’s a simply delicious cake that doesn’t need any frosting or garnish. I made the same cake with blackberries for Mother’s Day, decorated it with organic roses, sugar pearls, white chocolate drizzle, and edible gold flakes from Japan.
Buttermilk Cake with Blackberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter (4 Tbsp), softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup fresh blackberries + more for garnish
- 1 1/2 tbsp of turbinado sugar
- (Optional) Sweetened Whipped Cream (1/2 cup cold heavy cream + 1 Tbsp of sugar, whipped until firm)
- (Optional) White Chocolate (melted over double boiler, drizzle over cake)
- Preheat oven to 400 with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9″ round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
- At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
- Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter blackberries evenly over top, lightly press them in. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10-15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate.
- Drizzle with melted white chocolate, serve with sweetened whipped cream and more fresh blackberries.
Here is the gold flakes that I used. This was a gift from my parents, from when they visited Japan. (Yunokuno no Mori, it’s a small cultural center in Ishikawa. This region produces 90% of Japan’s gold leaf.)